There are many staff at the University of Southampton whose work is around various aspects of accessibility. We hope this page will signpost you to resources that are available to support you on your accessibility journey.
On this site
- Blackboard Ally
- Using Colours Accessibly
- Captions with University services
- Check accessibility as you work in Microsoft Office
Digital Learning resources
- Accessible maths from retrofitting to inclusive design – summary of a presentation by Dr Emma Cliffe (University of Bath) including links to the original presentation and useful tools.
- Universal Design for Learning – blog post including several short videos.
- What is Universal Design for Learning? Why does UDL matter? – blog post including a range of examples and links, including to CAST’s UDL framework.
- Accessibility – quick wins using UoS tools – Recording of a webinar where Tamsyn Smith and Matthew Deeprose share some tips on how to make your online teaching more accessible.
- How can I use colour accessibly? – blog post explaining how to ensure that when you use colour you consider accessibility.
- How can I improve the accessibility of my emails? – blog post that shares how a few simple changes to your Outlook set up can improve accessibility.
Enabling Services resources
- Student support recommendations
- General guidance for schools to support achievement
- Supplementary guidance for schools to support achievement – 2020-21 update for online learning
- Supporting students with SpLDs
- SpLD recommended reasonable adjustments.pdf
- Dyslexia recommended reasonable adjustments.pdf
- British Dyslexia Association Style Guide 2018
- Visual Discomfort recommended reasonable adjustments.pdf
- ADHD recommended reasonable adjustments
- Dyspraxia recommended reasonable adjustments
- CHEP – Accessibility and inclusivity
- Improving accessibility – it’s good for everyone (Julie Price)
- Top tips for promoting inclusive education
Other UoS resources
- How to create better digital content: best practice for inclusive design
- Using Colours Accessibly
- Guidelines for Accessible Conferences
- Guidelines for Accessible Public Lectures
- About how to set up captions (subtitling)
- About accessibility and Blackboard
- About creating accessible PDFs
- ECS accessibility team
- Centre for Research in Inclusion
- Web Accessibility Training by ECS
- Bibliography of research on Accessibility Education (produced by the Teaching Accessibility Team in the School of Education)
- Teaching Accessibility in Computer Science and Related Disciplines: A Systematic Review and Narrative Synthesis Protocol (produced by the Teaching Accessibility Team in the School of Education)
- Creating accessible documents in Word and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) – LinkedIn Learning learning path
- Ensure accessibility with the accessibility checker – David Rivers
- Creating Accessible PDFs – Chad Chelius
- Advanced accessible PDFs – Chad Chelius
- Digital Accessibility for the Modern Workplace – Hector Minto
- How to Make Accessible Learning – Oliver Schinkten
Other relevant resources
- Blackboard Ally Accessibility Checklist
- Microsoft Accessibility info
- Microsoft Accessibility Fundamentals
- Dos and don’t on designing for accessibility
- Digital Accessibility Animated Film (produced by Lexdis)
- Inclusive Teaching and Learning Strategies (produced by Lexdis)
- What is Digital Accessibility and Inclusion? (produced by Lexdis)
- The Medical and Social Models of Disability (produced by Lexdis)
- Education & Training Foundation Accessibility modules (aimed at FE)