It was great to have a record seventeen attendees along to the latest iPAD coffee club at SGH, with a range of devices.
We talked about how new users might set up their devices to support them at work:
Setting up your work email on your device: see iSolutions help here.
Setting up the VPN: see iSolutions help here.
Download the VMWare Horizon app to connect to your university desktop from your device; further instructions are given in the guides here.
Some useful apps that were discussed were:
– The Eduroam Companion app that allows you to locate Eduroam hotspots wherever you are
– Evernote can be used to manage notes and link these to other apps
– The Dropbox app, for sharing and storing files
– Apps that allow you to use your device as a scanner, such as ScannerMini, CamScan (Lite is the free version), and DocScan HD
– The Adobe Acrobat app, which allows you to annotate pdfs and to read documents offline on your device
– RefMe, that can read book and journal barcodes and help manage references
– The Microsoft Office apps for Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Apple’s Pages, Numbers and KeyNote are free for newer iPad users
– Explain Everything and the free alternative ShowMe can be used to record animated tutorials, with narration.
Note that apps available for iPads may not always be available for iPhones – so check which option you are searching for in the App Store.
Do comment below if there is anything you’d like to add, or you have any questions.
Our next session at SGH is 10-11am on July 8th, in LF8. We’ll be looking particularly at apps for social media, and continuing to discuss any apps and tips you’d like to share.