DSLR camera on tripod, recording a video of teacher. He is in the background of the shot, standing behind a table, out of focus.

DSLR camera on tripod, recording a video of teacher during e-learning class.

Working in a creative job can be a very fun way to get paid! It’s not without it’s challenges, however. The constant demand for creative solutions to each project, as well as constraints on time and budget can lead to feeling creatively drained (or at the dangers of getting stuck in a rut). Below are some tips on how I stay creative in the video industry:

• Stay up-to-date with the latest trends: It’s essential to stay informed about the latest trends in the video industry. Keep an eye on social media platforms, attend industry events, and read industry publications to stay informed about the latest developments. I find that seeing new work (and even new ways to create work) is a great way to get a rush of creativity.
  • Collaborate with other people: Collaboration is an excellent way to stay creative and come up with new ideas. By working with other people, you can exchange ideas, learn new techniques, and create content that’s more engaging and exciting. I find working with people outside my own field particularly exhilarating as we often approach the same task from very different places.
  • Experiment with new formats: The video industry is always evolving, so it’s essential to experiment with new formats and techniques to keep your content fresh and engaging. Try out new video formats, such as 360-degree videos, interactive videos, or virtual reality, to create more immersive and engaging content. I have found engaging with AI image generation to be especially exciting. Being able to get inspiration from other users and in art styles I would normally not tackle has opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibility.
  • Try another creative pursuit: Outside of video creation, I dabble in illustration, engraving and music making. Although they don’t necessarily directly contribute to any work I may do professionally, I find that flexing different creative muscles can have an overall refreshing effect on my creativity.
  • Give yourself limitations: Sometimes, as a creative, you wish you had the freedom to do anything you want to do in your particular field of work; but that can be daunting. I often find that I am at my most creative when I am working around or pushing at a set of tight restrictions. If you’re struggling for ideas, try to narrow the scope of your project right down (and you should hopefully find yourself rebelling against those restrictions in no time)!
  • Don’t force it: Sometimes you are just going to be out of ideas. Sometimes other factors can put the brakes on your creative engine. It’s important to accept that and reach out for help to get you through that dry patch.
Staying creative in a creative industry

What do you think? Leave us a comment to share your thoughts...