Finn Cresswell: MA Student placement at Salisbury

I am an Integrated Masters student at the University of Southampton, specialising in the role of social media and public engagement in shaping contemporary archaeology. Having a background in drama and screen media from the age of 12, and maintaining a constant interest in archaeology and heritage throughout my life, I am passionate about telling the story of archaeology from initial survey through to post-excavation.  My current dissertation based around a series of short films produced for Royal Victoria Country Park is intended to suggest a formula for the presentation of local heritage in broadcast andnew media that both archaeologists and the general public can support and engage positively with.

Halfway through my nine week placement here at Wessex Archaeology I have already experienced many aspects of life in commercial archaeology, and hope to engage with even more over my nine-week placement. I am aiming to gain a further understanding of the post-excavation side of the profession, as well as finding out more about the many facets of public engagement in a commercial environment.

Mainly being based with more public facing sections of the company, I have also done the occasional day with another department, broadening my overall experience.  My primary project has been assisting with the presentation and promotion of the excavations at the Former MOD Headquarters, made possible by Persimmon Homes (South Coast) Ltd. I am now assisting Bob Clarke with the design of the public engagement scheme for the excavations at New Covent Garden. Alongside both of these main projects, I will be producing several blog posts about various elements of life at Wessex Archaeology.

By Finn Cresswell