Çatalhöyük: Shrine of the Hunters

Çatalhöyük: Shrine of the Hunters from Artas Media on Vimeo.

Last year during my presentation at the VIA conference I was asked the question “When will you be creating an animation?” and it was one of the main talking points during the 45 minute question and answer session that accompanied the end of my paper. No matter where the conversation went, it always inevitably returned to thoughts about how the model would look with movement and discussions about how real to try and make the visualization were always prominent. Creating contained motion graphics was always something that I had intended to do for my work at Çatalhöyük, however at that particular moment, I just didn’t have the hardware, or the time to do it. There is also a lot of added preparation needed to take a still image and make it into something more. Fast forward over a year and finally I have something tangible that I can showcase and £2500 later and three months of sleeping next to a series of fans doing their best to resemble a jet engine has finally allowed for the creation of what I promised to do in that VIA presentation in the spring of 2011, an animated model of the level 5 shrine. However, this isn’t by any means the end, there are still a good half a dozen models that need to be rendered and having set myself a year to complete them all, I am happy to have at least ticked one off of the list. I have learnt a lot during this project and have come to appreciate the amount of time and effort it takes to produce animation work.

Blog post taken from: www.grantcoxmedia.wordpress.com