Meet the Team – Jude Jones

What will you be doing at Basing House?

Jude, with a hungry bird of prey, in Hungary!

Jude, with a hungry hawk, in Hungary!

I’ll be managing finds and training students in finds processing. I also hope to be able to assist Gareth in archive digitisation.

What you are hoping to experience at Basing House?

I specialise in early modern archaeology and have done various analyses of local Tudor, Stuart and Georgian gentry houses, although my most recent work has been on post-medieval parish churches. I’m really looking forward to working at Basing as it was such an important 16–17th century great house and it’s one of the Hampshire sites which, as yet, I haven’t studied or even visited. Its role in the Civil War adds to its intrinsic interest and I shall also be fascinated to see what the team discovers of its earlier archaeology.

What you do when you’re not at Basing House?

Up to July what I’ve recently done is endless work on my doctorate – now finished! For the past 5 years I’ve also worked part-time for English Heritage at the Southeast Archaeological Stores at Fort Brockhurst in Gosport. This has given me considerable experience in the processing and analysis of finds.

I’ve also assisted Penny Copeland with post-excavation work at Portus and Rome which has expanded my knowledge of Roman artefacts – so let’s hope we find lots of Roman stuff at Basing as well!

At Southampton and elsewhere I’ve spent four years teaching a range of subjects from anthropology to medieval archaeology and in between whiles I both attend and occasionally organise conferences.

This year Penny and I are hoping to be teaching Building Archaeology to Southampton students as part of the Curriculum Innovation programme and, if I get bored, I’m thinking of writing ‘the book of the thesis’ – an account of early modern religious identity based on the archaeology of 50 Hampshire and Sussex parish churches – so watch this space….

Filed under: Meet the Team Tagged: jude-jones