The first Maritime Archaeology Graduate Symposium (MAGS) was held in the Ioannou Centre for Classical and Byzantine Studies (Oxford) from the 3rd to the 4th February 2018. MAGS 2018 was funded from the Honor Frost Foundation (HFF) and the Oxford Centre for Maritime Archaeology (OCMA) and was organised by graduate students in maritime archaeology at the University of Southampton and the University of Oxford. The main aim of this symposium was to encourage early career researchers and current graduate students in maritime archaeology and related fields to share their research, exchange ideas, and meet like-minded scholars in their field.
Twenty-seven papers related to the developments of maritime archaeology in the eastern Mediterranean and the new methodological advancements and legislative issues in maritime archaeology were presented. Furthermore, Dr Jon Henderson (University of Nottingham) and Professor Robin Allaby (University of Warwick) were invited as keynote speakers. Furthermore, BAR Publishing set up a stand and held a raffle with wine, chocolate, and a £50 award to three lucky winners. We hope this symposium laid the foundation of the organisation of more postgraduate symposiums.
MAGS 2018 Committee
University of Oxford
- Carlos Cabrera-Tejedor: Post-Doc in Archaeology
- Elizabeth Briggs: D.Phil. Student in Archaeology
- Peter Fiske: DPhil Student in Archaeology
- Veronica Walker Vadillo: D.Phil. Student in Archaeology
University of Southampton
- Crystal Safadi: PhD Candidate in Maritime Archaeology (Centre for Maritime Archaeology)
- Naseem Raad: PhD Candidate in Maritime Archaeology (Centre for Maritime Archaeology)
- Ziad Morsy: PhD Candidate in Maritime Archaeology (Centre for Maritime Archaeology)