In this lesson students will learn about the process and causes of eutrophication and algal blooms. Using algal samples from Southampton Water they will set up their own experiments to illustrate the effects of fertilizer contamination on algal growth. These can be revisited over time.
You will need:
- Lesson plan
- Lesson presentation (main or extension)
- Equipment for class practical
- Jam jars
- Chlorella/Algal samples from Southampton Water
- Distilled water
- Miracle Gro
- Measuring cylinders
- Oxygen probes (Top sets)
- Eutrophication process worksheet
- Eutrophication animation
- Why the oceans matter video
All of the presentations and files can be downloaded here. The student area of this website contains information about independent study activities.