In this lesson students will use their own practical results, the concept ofand the principle to investigate floating and sinking and calculate whether both Jack and Rose could have survived at the end of the 1997 film Titanic by holding onto the floating door.
You will need:
- Lesson plan
- Lesson presentation (main or extension)
- Equipment for class practical
- Rubber bands
- Ice cream tubs
- Weighing boats
- Plasticine, wooden blocks, aluminium, iron blocks
- Calculation worksheet (all levels)
- Sugar solution tower Method Handout
- Mythbusters video
- Clip of door scene from Titanic
All of the presentations and files can be downloaded here. The student of this website helps students to understand the importance of in the real world with reference to Titanic. In addition to this, students can test their knowledge on a challenging quiz, and then find instructions to complete the sugar solution tower experiment independently.