Creativity, arts and culture are at the heart of the University of Southampton experience, whether in supporting your studies or offering a range of activities to enjoy in your down time, with world-renowned music and arts venues found alongside numerous creative communities.
Fiona Sunderland, Arts and Culture Student Insights Coordinator, said: “Our Home of Creativity campaign has been really exciting to help develop. From our initial concept of ‘Home’, we set up a series of student focus groups to get an in-depth understanding of what students want and need, using this to influence our approach. The really key message from students was that creativity, arts and culture need to feel interactive and inclusive to everyone.”
“My hope is that Home of Creativity will show that the arts encompasses many different creative areas, and that it helps to remove barriers so that more people can get involved. I believe that the arts are for everyone and there is so much to gain from taking part.”
Whether it is supporting your wellbeing, providing ways to escape the everyday, boosting your profession skills or showing off your talent, Home of Creativity will point you in the direction of new and exciting artistic encounters to cater to your needs.
Discover opportunities to relax, explore, meet with friends, take part, showcase and expand your skills with Arts at University of Southampton: Home of Creativity.
Jack Lewis, Communications Coordinator at John Hansard Gallery, said: “Home of Creativity is the perfect message for what John Hansard Gallery – and the University of Southampton – is all about. The Gallery offers a warm (digital) welcome, alongside events and activities for students studying all subjects to get involved.”
Daniela Gerstmann of Turner Sims Southampton said: “As your concert hall on campus and online, Turner Sims is here as part of your student experience through Home of Creativity. Creativity is part of everyone’s life, so why not come and explore what this could mean for you – be it relaxing with our live streamed concerts or learning new skills.”
Welcoming back students with Home of Creativity
This Autumn, Arts at University of Southampton have got lots on offer for new and returning students keen to explore and take part in creativity. Special events and activities can all be found on the University’s Welcome Calendar, and are also listed below:
- Southampton Treasure Hunt 2020: from 28 September to 11 October, discover all that is on offer, have fun exploring your new city and be in with the chance of winning fabulous prizes! All you need to take part is a digital camera or phone to take pictures.
- Home of Creativity Drop-in chats: find out the creative opportunities available to you when you study here at one of our Freshers online chat drop-in sessions on Teams – dates below – simply click the link to join.
- Wednesday 30 September, 15.00 – 17.00
- Monday 5 October, 15.00 – 17.00
- Tuesday 27 October, 15.00 – 17.00
- Live-stream concert: on 4 October, join Turner Sims online to relax with a classical performance streamed live from your on-campus concert hall.
- Seaside: Photographed exhibition tours: on 30 October, students are invited by John Hansard Gallery to explore their major new exhibition, Seaside Photographed, in special student-only tours.
Keep in touch
Arts at University of Southampton exists to celebrate, facilitate and promote the creative and cultural opportunities available to students, staff and the wider community across the University and the cities of Southampton and Winchester. This is particularly important and exciting at the moment, with Southampton bidding to be UK City of Culture 2025.
The team are always keen to hear from students about their own creative endeavours, and you can get in touch with them via email@example.com. If you’re keen for more creativity and culture from across region, you can also sign up to their mailing list, check out their Arts Blog, and follow them on social media.