A brilliant night out on your doorstep: Princess & the Hustler

Arts Ambassador Molly Ellis shares her experience attending Princess and the Hustler, a performance at the Nuffield Southampton Theatres (NST City).

I’ve always loved the theatre but in the past gravitated almost exclusively towards musicals, so seeing a play for the first time in years was exciting. Having never set foot in NST City before it was wonderful exploring a new space, hopefully the beginning of many more visits!

Molly (Arts Ambassador) with Cast/Crew from The Princess and The Hustler

What I noticed as we took our seats was that whilst the venue was overwhelmingly populated there was virtually no presence of a young audience. I know so many fellow students that would’ve loved the show. Ah, well, then I guess it’s mine and Jenny’s jobs as Arts Ambassadors to spread the word!

The show was a brilliant eye opener into the British Black Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, specifically how it impacted family life in Bristol in 1963. My knowledge of Civil Rights history is admittedly not that great, however I was instantly drawn into a world so distant in time and yet familiar: family life, its ups and downs.

For me, the fact the show was mostly set in the living room was very impactful. As the audience, we had a privileged view into the lives of the characters in their most intimate family setting. I was laughing and crying as soon as I set foot in the door back home. I found myself researching and trying to improve my historical knowledge! As my first trip (hopefully of many) to NST, it was a brilliant and eye-opening first show to experience and I can’t wait for the next one!

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and can’t urge people enough to visit the theatre on a night out. For students, if the opportunity to grab concession priced tickets in itself isn’t a draw then also for the fact that it’s a great way to explore local venues and have a brilliant night out on your doorstep!

Princess and the Hustler – 19 March, 2019 – 20 March, 2019

Molly Ellis is an Arts Ambassador and BA Music Student at the University of Southampton

Arts Ambassadors is a paid opportunity, supported by the Careers and Employability Service’s Excel Southampton Internship programme, University of Southampton.

Published by

Arts at University of Southampton

Whether you’re a student, staff or from our wider community, there are plenty of exciting cultural opportunities for everyone through Arts at University of Southampton.