Yesterday (December 7th) was the inaugural awarding of the Hans Schuppe Imaging Prize, a prize established in memory of Hans Schuppe, who headed the imaging facility in Biological Sciences until 2013.

Both undergraduate and post-graduate students within Biological Sciences were invited to submit a biology-related image for consideration for the prize.

The judging panel, consisting of Dr Mark Willett and Dr Jo Bailey, selected Emily Farthing’s 3D fluorescence image of a leaf cell as the winner and it is now being displayed on Level 6 outside the meeting rooms.

hans_schuppe_unveil

Emily said of her win:

I’m so happy to be part of this award remembering Hans Schuppe, who originally trained me in microscopy. This picture was quite an important part of my Ph.D and it’s great to be able to share it with everyone. The image shows a 3D leaf cell with the chloroplasts in red fluorescence and the vacuole membrane in green.

Lily Mendes da Costa’s entry was awarded the runner’s up prize:

hans_schuppe_unveil2

I am really thankful to have been a part of this award in memory of Hans Schuppe.  I waited around three hours to take this image of this snow leopard pair.  I wanted a photograph that captured the personality of these big cats, which I think I have achieved! Thank you very much to everyone and congratulations to Emily for the amazing image.

hans-schuppe-prize-runner-up-201516-lily-mendes-da-costa-snow-leopards

If any students would like to be considered for next years prize, images can be submitted to hansschuppeprize@soton.ac.uk.

DECEMBER 8th – Hans Schuppe Imaging Prize