group

26-27-28th July- New Forest Show 2016

A number of staff and students from Biological Sciences were at the New Forest Show this week  to reach out to the public and showcase our exciting research. Rob Ewing and his team took the new forest show visitors on a journey through DNA and big data sets, describing how we can use Big Data from genomics and proteomics studies to analyze cancer cells. Jessica Teeling and her team of researchers talked about infections and our immune system in health and disease. Activities included: ‘make your 3D bug or immune cell, and making snot, which was very popular with children visiting our stand. Jessica’s stand was part of the Wessex Immunology Group, a regional group of the British Society of Immunology. Finally Haruko Okomoto spend a day at the stand to inform the public about her work on the nanomotor enzyme V-ATPase.

It was busy all day and both children and adults visiting the new Forest Show were entertained and educated. Here are some comments:

‘I fancy making some snot- where is the snot-lab?’

‘It is very good work you do- I have been an active person all my life but your stand is encouraging young and old to think more about our health’

‘I knew the immune system was complicated, but you have helped me understand using your displays and props’

I finally understand how treatment of AMD with antibodies works- I would not have understood if I had read about it.

‘This is perfect for kids! you have to take the display to schools’

‘I want to take by bugs home and show everyone’

‘wowwww a 3D brain!’

We were part of a larger discovery tent, including Lifelab, cancer immunology, the biomedical research facility, health sciences, surgery, dermatology and bone disease/epigenetics who brought their mountain. The event was hosted by  Peter Dawes from the Wessex Medical Trust, and our tent won a prize for best local stand of the show- Congratulations!

New forest Show