Bacon and toast

Coming to study in the UK was a new experience to me, an adventure so to speak. This was the first time I had spent more than 3 months away from home after all. Where there are wonders like I’ve never seen, where it’s all grand and it’s all green.

Ooops, wrong city

So why would meals here, be any less of an adventure? And with a myriad of choices to choose from, how does one possibly run out of things to eat?

Quickly. As my wallet was swift to inform me.

Averaging around 5~6 pounds a meal outside, I quickly burnt a hole through my pocket as I roamed about induction week, checking out societies and restaurants. As it was, I nearly used up the amount of money I set aside per month in my first week. Just as well I arrived in the latter half of September. Obviously, this state of affairs could not continue.

Luckily, I came prepared. I brought my lab coat.

Together with my experimental subjectsflatmates we decided to challenge ourselves.

whatsapp-image-2016-12-01-at-01-55-18-2

Having dabbled a little in the science that is cooking before coming over, now was truly the time to put our skills to the test. Thus with my victimsflatmates, we went about attempting new recipes, beginning with the humble bread, eggs and ham.

whatsapp-image-2016-12-01-at-01-55-18-3

Before branching out to the satisfying mac and cheese.

whatsapp-image-2016-12-01-at-01-55-18

And while quickly back tracking from the peculiar egg dish.

whatsapp-image-2016-12-01-at-01-55-18-1

There were several spectacular successes. in this picture two of them

whatsapp-image-2016-12-01-at-01-55-18-4

Granted there were a few misses. BUT, I’d like to think that they were stepping stones for future ventures. After all as they say, practise makes perfect.

Food, Glorious Food