Day 4

Progress in Scientific research depends on funding and much of our research is supported by UK charities who go to great lengths to raise funds to support our science. On 7th November, Grace Hallinan and Jessica Teeling joined the Rotary Club Southampton West for their weekly lunch meeting. After sharing interesting stories on travelling in Ireland, Brexit and fundraising, Grace took the stage and gave an excellent, moving talk about Alzheimer’s Disease and role of tau in spreading the disease through the ageing brain. As a thank you we received a generous cheque for Alzheimer’s Research UK.

The invitation from the rotary club was as a follow up of the pint of science festival – a good example that public engagement is working well for BioSci this year.

“Tell me and I’ll forget, show me and I may remember, involve me and I learn”, Benjamin Franklin

Jessica Teeling and Grace Hallinan, with Christine and John Parkhouse from Rotary Club Southampton West.
December 4th 2017