I really do mean gradation.

What is Gradation?

Gradation is defined as a series of successive changes, stages or degrees [1]. In art, gradiation is the gradual transition from one colour hue, shade or texture to another [2]. So can we define our lives as a form of gradation? (Although they come with changes that are not always as gradual as we hoped for.)

With that question thrown out into the pitch as a Hammer, I shall now ‘naturally’ transition to the main topic of this post, that is,

Graduation.

I am extremely lucky to have “Graduation” as part of my life gradation. As a short-lived stage between education and unemployment working life, it has been made into a day to be celebrated with family, friends, coursemates, lecturers, tutors and in the case of some UoS students, the ducks that waddle around the university grounds and the solitary black cat that appears on the path between the Highfield and Avenue campuses.

They really did make my day.

During the graduation ceremony, the Chancellor gave the chance for us graduates to applaud the guests we had invited to the event as well as those watching the live stream from various spots around the university to thank them for the support they had given us throughout our journey. I had no idea where my parents were in the crowd but applaud I did.

Once the ceremony was over, all that was left to do for the rest of the day was to mingle around with fellow comrades and take as many photos as we can in our gowns and mortarboards. Despite the sweltering weather, we had to make the most out of the hired robes.

It was great to have had Prof. Neil and Dr. Jing from the Malaysia Campus as well as Prof. Atkinson and Dr. Maryam who were part of the flying faculty, join in on the UoSM gathering. We were also given a lovely gift from the UoSM Communications and Marketing team working on the UK side.

The UoSM crew.
A gift that was revealed to be a photo frame.

All in all, it was a day filled with gratitude and reminiscing for who knows when we’ll see each other again.

Location: Riverside Park, Southampton

[1] Lexico Dictionary, https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/gradation

[2] Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradation_(art)

Gradation