Living in the UK over summer, is an opportunity to intern over the summer and make full use of the otherwise short period in the UK and Europe to accumulate work experience. Doing so however, leaves little downtime between studies and work. Not quite a an optimal work-life balance. Thus something often done by students that decide not to go home over summer, is to take a short trip either over the English Channel or up north to explore and experience how much wetter it can actually get.

A summer trip works to expose oneself to new experiences, foods and locations. Given the impact of spaghetti and pasta on student life, it seemed fitting to go over to Italy and find out what real Italian food actually tastes like. Contrary to popular belief, they do not subsist on pasta and pastries alone, there was also cold cut meats and various roasts as well. The hosts I was staying with were remarkably friendly, insisting on providing for both food and lodging during my brief stay. In between trying to learn how to play backgammon from my host and exploring a small town in Italy, I picked up a taste for a aperitivo commonly had before and after meals. It’s something known  as the Veneziano, Spritz Veneziano or simply a spritz. With a refreshing aftertaste while still retaining a bite to it, it quickly became my favourite summer drink.

P_20170702_125704     P_20170702_125709

Not to say that I spent all my time eating, just most of it.

A popular tourist spot is Venice, and it certainly deserves it. Despite the channels and the open Venetian Lagoon, the fishy smell often associated with port towns was nowhere to be smelt. With the beautiful boats and buildings in full view, the moniker “the Floating City” felt apt indeed. Entire day was spent strolling along the lanes, peeking through the windows and banisters, and getting weird lapses of nostalgia due to a certain game. It was rather sunny the entire trip, with the days almost constantly around a sweltering 33 degrees Celsius, and while a few Asian friends might argue that that is barely enough to start sweating. I would just like to put it out there, that I was not the one that came down with heat exhaustion. Muscle ache was more my forte.

P_20170702_170142_PN

Take a Summer Break