Meet the Turner Sims Interns: Sabine Russell

Third year music student and Turner Sims intern Sabine Russell (pictured right) describes her experiences as an intern at Turner Sims and tells us what the summer holds in store for her. 

As June draws to a close, so do my first 6 months as a Turner Sims Intern. As someone who is aspiring to work in arts administration or marketing, Southampton was an attractive choice due to the prospect of this internship and I have really valued the fly-on-the-wall experience of working at Turner Sims.

Facing new challenges regularly has given me a broad understanding of a variety of tasks that go on in the Turner Sims offices. One of my favourite tasks has been putting together programmes and more specifically, designing the adverts, allowing me to use and develop my creative skills. I have found this to be a very satisfying process as the programme helps aid the concert experience for our audience. Later this year, I would like to explore designing a new programme template — improving current features and overall, providing a little refresh. The release of the new 2017/18 Autumn Season was a particularly exciting part of my internship. As the content was finalised and the mailing deadline loomed we were frenetically filling envelopes with print material to make the deadline. Thankfully with the help of all the TS staff, we got there!

Turner Sims’ Autumn Season showcases a wide variety of artists, and there is something for everyone. From cutting-edge Jazz artists to fantastic Classical performers and innovative folk and world groups, I’m sure this season will be very successful. I am particularly excited about Värttinä, performing on 8th December. This quirky group of three female singers combines contemporary styles like close harmony singing with the traditional Nordic melodic lines of Finnish music. This fresh and innovative approach is bound to be a very enjoyable evening for all. Working closely with Kevin Appleby and the other Turner Sims staff has been so rewarding and I have loved being a part of the team here. The internship has definitely been a highlight of my second year at university and I can’t wait to see what the next 6 months bring!

VARTTINA-1140x495
VARTTINA perform at Turner Sims on Friday 8 December, 8pm

As a first study singer and a passionate chorister, I am excited to be taking part in my first Eton Choral Course this summer in Eastbourne. I’m really looking forward to seeing what repertoire we will be singing, professional master classes and I’m especially excited to be singing an Evensong at Westminster Cathedral. I shall also be visiting the Edinburgh Fringe Festival with my family this year — I always thoroughly enjoy the vivid atmosphere and the range of fantastic shows on offer. I’m sure it’ll be another fantastic year, despite the very changeable Scottish weather!

Published by

Arts at University of Southampton

Whether you’re a student, staff or from our wider community, there are plenty of exciting cultural opportunities for everyone through Arts at University of Southampton.