25 April 1916

Hard at work clearing up all day, a very trying job when one is longing to be up with the battery the whole time. I bathed about midday. Went over to the east bank this evening having left a small party to guard the stuff we’ve not been able to move yet.

When I got the other side I found the battery was coming in tonight as the Turks have retreated. The battery got in about seven. They had taken up a position on Hill 70 but hadn’t had a chance of coming into action, so I didn’t miss much. The major was going to have sent for me to join them tonight, if there had been any need for them to stay out.

There is a strong force of Anzacs out near Hill 70 now, but they report to us no sign of the Turk, and think he has retired well satisfied with his raid – and so he ought to be as he has burnt the camp at Katia, and the Worcester Yeomanry have only 1 officer and 54 men left out of the whole regiment. Gloucestershire have lost a squadron and a half, and the Warwick Yeomanry have about 10 causalities. One German Officer was shot with the Turks, who I believe only had about 100 casualties.

We’ve got the camp this side nearly straight now and shall settle down. All our battery messed with headquarters tonight.