18 March 1916

Woke up about six this morning; we were going through some very pretty country indeed, all palm groves and cultivation, with little villages of mud huts at intervals. Hooded crows were as common as sparrows – saw hundreds of them – also saw a lot of great big birds like very big hawks, they say they are carrion birds of sorts but I haven’t found out their name yet.
After a bit we began to get into the desert and saw lots of camels. We stopped at one small station, where we had a big camp, but I don’t know what units. We saw a camel corps there.
The next place we stopped at was Kantara (8:30 am) just where the line joins the Suez Canal. I saw Kenning on the platform and he told me the Brigade has been in a rest camp at Port Said and were moving to this place on the canal today, so we got the men and kits out there instead of going on to Port Said. Went up to the camp which is just back behind the canal in the desert. I spent the rest of the day getting straight in camp. I believe we are to move over to the other side of the canal in a day or so. This is just where the Turks attacked last year, but I think it improbable we shall get any scraping here, though the Turks have got a post 50 miles away.
There are two squadrons of Mysore Lancers here, fine looking fellows, they’ve been out occasionally and had a skirmish with the Turks, but I think it’s pretty quiet now. It’s very funny seeing nothing but sand all round; we had a beastly sandstorm this afternoon and it gets in everything. We are a very cheery little mess, though only six officers now, as Powell and Poulteney mess with the Col., and Gassell, who is vet to the Brigade, messes with headquarters. I am in a tent with Badcock and we are getting quite snug.