Interdisciplinary blog

sotonDH small grant: Scanning Winchester Cathedral (part two)

October 15, 2012
by James Miles

Having received a small sotonDH student research grant I took the ScanStation 2 laser scanner owned by the Geography department to Winchester cathedral. Scanning started with the Pilgrims’ hall located next the Pilgrims’ school (attached) with both the interior and exterior being scanned at a 2cm resolution. The resolution was chosen through a combination of […]

Having received a small sotonDH student research grant I took the ScanStation 2 laser scanner owned by the Geography department to Winchester cathedral.

Scanning started with the Pilgrims’ hall located next the Pilgrims’ school (attached) with both the interior and exterior being scanned at a 2cm resolution. The resolution was chosen through a combination of trying to gain enough data that can be used to create a reasonable representation of the building with the time available. A number of scans were taken and will be later registered to create an accurate three dimensional model. The models will be used within my PhD to test the structural stability of the building and it was decided that a laser scanner would be used rather than a traditional building survey using a total station as I required the building survey data to be in a lot more detail than would be available using traditional methods. The laser scan model can be analysed at a later date and will act as the basis for my investigation of the hammer-beam timber framing that dates to the 14th century.

Once the scan of Pilgrims’ Hall was completed I then scanned the interior of the cathedral. The number of scans completed of the cathedral was 36 and the focus was on capturing enough data that could be used to provide a comparison with a virtual model that was produced by Portsmouth University, in order to examine the dimensional accuracy of their model. The laser scan model will also be used as basis for a structural analysis test of some of the building work. Due to the time that it took to record the cathedral it meant that the under croft of the education centre (number 10) could not be completed but I am hopeful that I can gain access to the scanner again for a few days so that I can record and then examine the subsidence that has occurred with the support columns of the vaulted ceiling.

Categories: Uncategorized. Tags: scanning, small grant, Small Grants, and Winchester Cathedral.

Authors