We would like to extend a warm welcome to all our external examiners
This site is aimed at all external examiners for taught programmes and is in addition to the External Examiner Procedures, the University’s Quality Handbook and the programme level information the School will provide.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic the University has approved some specific changes to the University’s Quality, Monitoring and Enhancement Framework. These changes are included in the relevant policies and procedures in the relevant sections of the Quality Handbook.
This site may also be of interest to anyone who is considering becoming an external examiner at the University of Southampton, or to academic and professional services staff at the University.
In the following short videos Professor Alex Neill (Vice-President) and Professor Anna Barney (Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education)), welcome you to the university as an external examiner, outlining how you can help advance the quality of our course provision, and the support that is available to you.
On this site external examiners will find all the information they need in one place at the start and throughout their appointment, including:
- an introduction to the University and its strategy
- the UK Quality Code for Higher Education
- an overview of the role of external examiner at the University of Southampton
- details about the support offered to new external examiners
- an overview of the University’s Faculty/School structure
- programme specific induction
- Assessment Regulations and related policies
- guidance on reporting requirements and access to report and claim forms for fees and expenses
- frequently asked questions
- contact information
If you would like to offer us any feedback on this site please go to the contact us page and send us a message. We aim to respond to all messages received within 72 hours of receipt.