Raising awareness of mental health via social media

Tell us a little about yourself:

My name is Saskia and I am currently a first year student studying a BSc in Psychology. 

What is your experience with raising awareness of mental health?

After having my own experiences with mental illness, I decided to dedicate a lot more of my time to raising awareness of mental health, particularly on social media as I have managed to amass a moderate following on there. On social media as well as on my own blog, I take time to share information regarding mental health that individuals are likely to be unaware of. Mostly, I focus on disproving stereotypes, promoting awareness of symptoms and when to seek support and creating a safe space for people to talk. Although I aim to raise awareness, I also try to promote action which is crucial. 

Why do you think it is important to focus on university mental health?

University is a stressful time for so many people as it is such a big change for many individuals. Often this change can result in individuals struggling with their mental wellbeing but being unaware of what this means and where they can go for support. It is important that students know what signs and symptoms to look out for, but also how to get support for their mental health to prevent deterioration.

What is your go-to activity to promote your personal wellbeing?

My favourite activity to promote my own wellbeing is doing yoga/stretching to relax my body, whilst also watching something I enjoy on my laptop, such as a musical.

Saskia – 1st Year Psychology BSc student