Interdisciplinary blog

Ageing USRG – EPSRC Summer Bursaries 2014

June 19, 2014
by Charles Saunders

Charlie Saunders: ‘Analysis of blood flow control in the brain’

I’ve just completed my second year in the Acoustical Engineering MEng program. I have a particular interest in Signal Processing, specifically biomedical, so I’m thrilled to be working with David Simpson on the analysis of blood flow project, as part of the SPCG (Signal Processing & Control Group) in the ISVR (Institute of Sound and Vibration Research).

The main project is on the analysis of blood flow in the brain. The aim is to better understand the effect of the constriction and dilation of blood vessels within the brain as a response to blood pressure changes (known as the auto regulatory system), particularly in healthy individuals. It’s a great project to work on as I get to apply my knowledge of signal processing to data which is collected in collaboration with the Southampton General Hospital, as well as learn about the workings of various machines such as ECG’s. Another side project I am working on involves the creation of a program used by medical staff to calibrate a physiotherapy machine designed to measure the strength and mobility of a person’s wrist.

Image: Arm Calibration Program)

Arm Calibration Program

My next project will by my third year individual project entitled “A computational tool for the assessment of local 3D strain fields in bone tissue” which is also relevant to biomedical signal processing.  I then hope to undertake another research internship in the summer between my 3rd and 4th year, and I will also have a group research project in my 4th year.  After I complete my degree, I am hoping to start a Phd. My research placement will provide me with fantastic experience and knowledge which I will be able to apply to all of these, and more in the future.

Categories: Blog. Tags: ageing, charlie saunders, epsrc, interdisciplinary, university of soutampton, USRG, and vacation bursaries.

Authors