I have stressed in my previous blog post that we are never limited by the degree that we study for. But it would be extremely helpful if the degree programme that you are in is able to help you explore your options, as well as expose you to the many different possible ways that engineers can be useful.

Here are a few personal examples of the versatility of a mechanical engineering degree in the University of Southampton.

1. Computing

Programming_stuff

The work process of modelling the behaviour of a skin-like material when I apply a fixed force.

My third-year project was to simulate the behaviour of human skin. What this involved was to formulate equations that would predict the behaviour of skin, e.g. how would skin deform if I pinched it, pressed it, used a vacuum cleaner on it etc. These equations would prove to be nearly impossible to solve by hand. Hence, I would need to programme these equations to a computer so that they can be solved.

But computers treat numbers and mathematical operations very differently. If we were to solve any mathematical problems, we sometimes rely on intuition to solve them. Computers, on the other hand, do not have this form of intuition (at least not yet). Computers have to be instructed on every single step to take. This leaves very little avenue for mental shortcuts.

There are many techniques used to perform calculations on a computer. Each technique has its own advantages as well as drawbacks. Normally, if you wanted high accuracy, you took a longer time to compute. Conversely, if you needed speed, you sacrifice accuracy. The optimal aim of the game is then to get the most accurate answer for the least amount of computational time. This is called the science of optimisation.

Optimisation is a very important and life-relevant subject. Many things in life are all about optimisation, for example, how to get the maximum amount of returns for the smallest investment or how to score the most marks in an exam for the least amount of effort. But the people who study this science in the most detail are the mathematicians and the computer scientists. So I found myself consulting with people who studied mathematics and computer science. I received many useful insights and tips on how to write better computer programmes.

So there I was, as a mechanical engineering student, combining knowledge from the fields of biology, mathematics and computer science. I turned something that lacked numerical definition – the skin – and interpreted that into mathematical equations, and harnessed the computing powers that we have, and transformed it into something that can be represented into a single number. So now, we have greater understanding on the behaviour of skin and we can nicely compare each skin sample with numbers that quantify the “quality” of the skin.

2. Biomedical Applications

Biomedical Stuff

Growing cells with blood vessels outside of the human body. Taken from In Vitro Models of Vasculogenesis and Angiogenesis, Laboratory Investigation 81(4), 2001.

Just this year, I have received the weirdest assignment ever. The assignment was to design a bioreactor. My first question was, “What in the world is a bioreactor?”

Turns out it is a piece of complex equipment that is used today in industry to produce proteins and other small biological building blocks. The purpose of my assignment, however, was to design a bioreactor that can produce whole bone structures! That led to my second question, “How in the world am I supposed to do that?”

It certainly sounds like something that is completely out of my depth. Shouldn’t this be a problem for the biomedical or biochemical folk?

We were given a seemingly impossible assignment. But in hindsight, this exercise gave us an opportunity to work on something at the very cutting edge of technology. It also allowed us to explore our options in fields that are not traditionally associated with mechanical engineers. While researching for this assignment, I enlisted the help of friends who studied biomedical sciences. This brought me very close to the subject, as well as the friends who study it.

3. Business and Management

We had a group assignment that involved us role-playing as a group of engineers trying to pitch a product to a large company.

In order to have a good pitch, one would need to do extensive market research as well as perform an investigation to find out if the product would be a great fit to the company. The product would need to sell well, not compete with the existing product line-up, as well as use as many processes currently employed to increase efficiency. Other considerations would also include the need to establish strong and reliable supply chains.

But most importantly, the ultimate question a business needs to ask is that if the product would actually add value to it. If the business were to invest a billion dollars, would it get a profit out of it?

These are the questions that we had to answer in order to make an effective sales pitch. So this exercise was a real eye opener. Hardly would a typical engineering student expect to immerse him or herself in so much business-related activity. It is not all about designing the best machinery or just performing calculations behind a desk. We come to realise the fact that the world runs on money. Without money, there would not be a realisation of great engineering projects and feats.

These are just a few of the many multidisciplinary activities that I have gone through as an undergraduate mechanical engineering student in the University of Southampton. I can only say that my experiences have definitely broadened my perspective, and most importantly, prepared me to take on any problems that I may not necessarily have any prior experience with. And in an ever-changing world, I think that it is very important to keep challenging oneself, to endlessly strive for improvement and to work hard to be at the top of the game. I certainly have learnt to be more confident with myself and my abilities to tackle problems in whatever guise. I have no regrets studying at the University of Southampton.

The Versatility of a Mechanical Engineering Education with the University of Southampton