Presentation/technique experiments

I developed a rough cut for my film based around the idea of an artificial sun, inspired by a news article about LCD screens displaying the sunrise in cities with air pollution and smog too dense to see through- a story that turned out to be sensationalised and false, yet swept the web as truth. It is interesting to consider that technology allows for the spread of false information so quickly and easily, but also that possible, our hyper awareness of climate change made the story, despite being untrue, so emotive. Perhaps we need to confront the plausibility of such an event and our attitudes towards it.

I decided that, given the subject matter, projection would be the most appropriate way t display it in a gallery ( to tie in with the idea of artificial light, and also give me the freedom of different formats, ie. circular or site- specific.) I made a version of the film in a circular format, inspired by Olafur Elliason’s Weather Project, and also the circular motifs in many of Andy Warhol’s experimental screen tests. I then projected this onto and into various spaces using mapping software. Here i produced another video using the footage from the experiments, and some glitch methods/ overlays i have been working on. At this point i may want to include this footage in the film itself, though I haven’t yet decided.