Kat Napiorkowska- Living with OCD

The fim I am making is an attempt to represent Obsessive Compulsive Disorder through visual means in an artistic and unusual way. I will be orienting the whole piece around hands and how they are crucial in the anxiety relief achieved through different compulsions.

When doing research about OCDs and ways in which they have been represented in art, I came across a Polish filmmaker- Kat Napiorkowska, who mainly focuses on  mental disorders. The video she has made on OCD is not only highly insightful, accurate and relatable for anyone who suffers from the disorder, but also well-edited and aesthetically pleasing. I really admire the narration, although I do not think I will be using any in my own video.

The film seems very intimate and personal, and that is an effect that I want to achieve in my work. Similarly to Napiorkowska’s film, I will be doing a lot of close-ups and detailed shots, trying to keep them short and simple. The frames will be well-balanced and I will possibly use some symmetry to reflect some characteristics of the disorder. The cold, almost monochromatic colours seen in the video are a good representation of the topic and create a slightly tense and anxious atmosphere. I am considering using a similar colour palette.

One thought on “Kat Napiorkowska- Living with OCD”

1. Nice piece of research with some good analysis here, Alexandra. Note also how the music plays a subtle but nonetheless important role in enhancing the ‘tentative’ steps of the person’s daily routine. Be mindful that if you are writing about the condition you will need to back it up with some medical evidence etc. Looking forward to seeing how your project is developing. Best, Steve.