Each year we encourage our undergraduate students to apply for a Vacation Studentship to undertake a research projects in the research laboratories of Biological Sciences. The summer of 2017 was highly successful and we received funding from learned Societies and charities, including the Welcome Trust to provide our students with a unique summer experience. Here we give you an overview describing the projects and student experience.

Biological Sciences have been awarded 6 Wellcome Trust summer studentships this year and we are excited to see the impact of this programme on our undergraduates. Students get the opportunity to work alongside leading scientists on cutting-edge research problems for the summer – this is transformative for students and the research teams they join. Professor Rachel Mills, Dean of Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences.

Matthew Scurlock (supervisor: Declan Doyle)

Matthew Scurlock

The aim of my project was to identify the optimum growth conditions for overexpressing a membrane protein thought to convey antibiotic resistance. The protocol resulting in the most overexpression is now being used in order to allow functional studies to be performed. Techniques used included mini prepping, IPTG induction and spectrofluorophotometry.

Doing a summer research placement has given me crucial real research experience that will help give me an advantage when it comes to applying for PhD’s/jobs. Becoming familiar in a lab environment will also help when it comes to doing the third year research project. I really enjoyed the placement and it has encouraged me to apply to do aPhD. Matthew Scurlock

Marek Plata (supervisor: Phil Williamson)

This research project was aimed to help determine the underlying molecular mechanisms of formation of amyloid-beta deposits. Although in general amyloid or tau deposits are associated with cognitive impairment observed in Alzheimer’s disease, a significant number of patients have been identified that share the neuropathology but exhibit little or no loss of cognitive function. Studies have sought factors to distinguish between the two clinical outcomes, with a number identifying elevated levels of serum amyloid-P (SAP) expression in the brain closely related to poor cognitive function. This project was aimed to determine how SAP influences molecular structure of amyloid-beta fibres in its presence. Amyloid-beta peptide has been expressed as inclusion bodies in E.coli, allowing the introduction of the NMR sensitive isotopes carbon-13 and nitrogen-15.

Marek Plata
Marek Plata

The inclusion bodies were subsequently isolated, and the peptide solubilized prior to purification by ion exchange chromatography. The amyloid-beta peptide was subsequently isolated from larger complexes by centrifugal filtration. The final purity of the isolated amyloid-beta peptide was confirmed using electrospray mass spectrometry and preliminary structural studies performed by liquid state NMR.The ability of the recombinant peptide to form fibrils was studied by Thioflavin T assay, prior to studies investigating the effect of SAP on fibril formation by solid-state.

Doing a summer research project helped me gain abundant experience and confidence in a laboratory setting. I have enjoyed a fair extent of independence in the lab to plan and execute all necessary procedures. The project is part of a broader work carried out in Dr Williamson’s lab with an aim for publication. Having a chance to contribute to a full-scale research project has given me an additional asset, which will prove beneficial when considering future career prospects. Marek Plata

Ellie Woods (supervisor: Ivo Tews)

My research concerned the sessile form that bacteria can take, known as a biofilm –

Ellie Woods
Ellie Woods

biofilms are much more tolerant to antibiotics than free swimming bacteria. When biofilms form on medical implants or in the lungs, for example in cystic fibrosis patients, they can become very dangerous. My summer was spent investigating a way in which biofilms can be dispersed in order to be treated. In particular, I was looking at the enzyme domain involved in breaking down the chemical messenger that activates biofilm formation.

I chose to do a summer placement to discover whether I would be interested in a career in research and whether it would be worth going on to do a masters and a PhD. I really enjoyed the experience and am now going into my third year project with huge amount of confidence and knowledge. Ellie Woods.

Anita Ngabirano (supervisor: Herman Wijnen)

My name is Anita Ngabirano and I am currently in my final year at the university studying biomedical sciences.

Anita Ngabirano
Anita Ngabirano

During my summer, I received a Wellcome Trust Vacation Studentship to work in Dr. Herman Wijnen’s lab for a period of 8 weeks. The project aimed at using the fruit fly Drosophila as an experimental model to address the way that the daily timekeeping mechanisms control metabolism. Fruit flies and humans use similar molecular timekeeping systems, known as circadian clocks, to control storage and use of nutrients such fat and carbohydrates.  Disruption of the clock has been linked to the risk for diabetes and obesity in people. Studies show that the period gene, which plays a key role in the animal circadian clock, controls nutrient storage and the ability to survive starvation in flies. Our experiments show that starvation resistance can be induced by feeding flies on a low yeast diet. However, the effect is not seen in flies lacking the period gene (per01) as they store fewer nutrients in the form of glycogen and triglycerides and are therefore more sensitive to starvation. The results also reveal that diet-induced starvation resistance depends on the peripheral clocks, such as those in the fat body, rather than those in the brain.

I have found this placement incredibly rewarding as I have gained more hands-on laboratory experience making me more confident to pursue laboratory based studies after graduation. By the end of the placement, I felt better prepared and ready to start my final year project.

I would love to thank my supervisor Dr. Wijnen and his team of postgraduates for the inspiration and support that they have provided throughout the placement.  Last but not least, I would love to thank the Wellcome Trust organisation for providing me with the financial support I needed to carry out this project. Anita Ngabirano

Elloise Matthews (supervisor: Claire Clarkin)

Elloise Matthews

I applied for the Wellcome Trust vacation scholarship as I believed this to be a unique opportunity to partake in a high standard of research focused on health and disease. I was very keen to gain laboratory experience to better understand what a career in research would be like. In investigating the impact of abnormal blood vessels in osteoporosis I have learnt a wide range of laboratory skills and techniques; from genotyping and murine dissection, to tissue sectioning with a cryostat and immunohistochemistry.

It has been very exciting to be a part of a team working at the forefront of bone disease research and I have loved every moment of my summer studentship. I am now confident I would enjoy continuing down the research route after I graduate and so I plan on undertaking a PhD. Eloise Matthews

Eleanor Marshall (supervisor: Jessica Teeling)

The aims of my project were to study the effect of different anti-inflammatory drugs in a model of systemic bacterial infection, and to assess if any of these inhibitors have the potential to reduce neuroinflammation. The latter has been found to exaggerate the onset and progression of Alzheimer’s disease, but the underlying mechanism remain unknown.

Eleanor Marshall
Eleanor Marshall

I extracted RNA from spleens of mice treated with the various inhibitors, using the Trizol method, and used qPCR to measure levels of various inflammatory cytokines and other markers of inflammation. We found that no single inhibitor was able to reduce inflammation, due to the complex nature of Salmonella typhimurium infection as it triggers multiple inflammatory pathways, and believe that a combination therapy approach may be more effective in future.

I decided to do a summer research project as I would like to pursue a career in research, and have especially enjoyed the in-depth research projects that have formed part of my degree. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and learnt a great deal about what it is to work in a laboratory, and am now sure that this is a career path that I wish to pursue. Eleanor Marshall.

Some final comments from the Biological Sciences  placement tutor and Head of Academic Unit:

These summer studentships funded by the Wellcome Trust have given our undergraduate students excellent and extremely valuable experience in a biomedical research environment, which has put each of them in a great position to continue on a path as an independent scientist. Dr David Tumbarello, placement tutor in Biological Sciences.

Wellcome Trust Vacation Scholarships are a great opportunity for students to consider a career in research. I am very pleased that our undergraduate students in Biological Sciences were so successful in being awarded these scholarships, and that they proved very positive experiences. Keith Jones, Head of Biological Sciences.

Are you inspired? Would you like a similar experience? click here to contact Dr David Tumbarello.

Wellcome Trust Vacation Studentships – 2017