December 16th –

lab-students
3rd year students celebrate the last day in the lab working on the role of hypoxia in bone with Claire Clarkin. Well done everyone, some really interesting data generated!

Today Friday 16th is the last day of semester 1 and both staff and students are looking forward to the Christmas break. This year some of our third year students spent time in theĀ  B85 labs to conduct their own research project, Ā while others have been researching novel product targets in our Bioscience business module, or learned how to communicate or teach science. Here are some snapshots of the last day in the lab orĀ a final workshop before dissertations are prepared and handed in and a few quotes with their experience so far.

quotes from lab project students:

My lab experience has been great: the lab project I have chosen, the people I have worked with and my supervisor have made this journey so awesome. It has been stressful sometimes and we had our frustrating times (as my supervisor says: ā€œ this is science, it happens!ā€), but overall it has been great! I didnā€™t think I would have felt this way, but I am sad that labs are over.Susanna Zapponi

I enjoyed the lab experience and felt like I have learned many new skills and techniques from both my supervisor and lab group. I have also been able to work as a team to achieve results.Ā  AlishaĀ  Sharma

I would say that the last five weeks have given me a fantastic insight as to what it is like to carry out research independently. I have also never been so tired in my life!! It’s been stressful at times due to experiments not always quite going to plan but definitely a worthwhile experience. Laura Carrington

quotes from bioscience business students:

bioscience business students learning how to use Media for presentation in a workshop led by Stephan Caspar from Iilead

This module is preparing us really well for our pitch and Ā job applications next year — I particularly liked the workshop on presenting to an audienceĀ and the use of media in presentations.

Last week I spoke to someone from Novartis and thanks to this module I was able to have a good conversation.This module has helped me to become aware and understand the terminology in drug discovery, such as a pipeline,Ā  generic drugs and intellectual property. Joel Stanford

click here for a video to see Bioscience students in action

DECEMBER 16 Last day of term