2016 WSA FMM Alumni Event

Southampton’s Winchester School of Art held an alumni event this month for its Fashion Marketing/Management programme. The event was open to all prospective students interested in joining the programme and featured talks from past students, as well as projects from current students.

Kimren Dhesi, WSA Graduate/Analyst at Make Happy Ltd

“My biggest piece of advice is to get as much experience as possible. No matter what industry you think you want to get in to, say fashion or beauty, it could be something else entirely. The experience on the course will help you get an internship, and the internship will then help you do better on the course. The combination of the two will make you so much more employable.”

– Kimren Dhesi, WSA Graduate/Analyst at Make Happy Ltd

Akila Hodge, Prospective Student
Akila Hodge, Prospective Student

“I was first interested in this programme because of the fashion and textiles course. It gives you an opportunity to dabble in both arts. The university also differs from others I’ve looked into because it has a lot of machines that we’re able to work with. I feel like that’s a definite pro because it will allow for a very hands-on approach to expressing myself through different techniques.”

– Akila Hodge, Prospective Student

Annabelle Brown, Second Year
Annabelle Brown, Second Year

“One of the most valuable aspects of this course has been working in groups, because it’s been true teamwork and not just having one leader that everyone follows. For example, with our megatrends on display today, it was a lot of teamwork and if one person was slacking it just wouldn’t work.”

– Annabelle Brown, Second Year

Ellen Raftery, WSA Graduate/Trainee Merchandiser at NEXT

“My advice to anyone thinking of coming to this course would be to come with an open mind and listen to the advice of the people around you, because they all have amazing experiences to share. One of the most valuable modules in the course was the fashion market module in my second year. It was based around looking at macro trends and seeing how that trickled down into a micro trend. For the project I did a lingerie collection for Louis Vuitton and while working on the product cycle and product development, I realised that’s really what fascinated me, and that’s what I’m doing in my career.”

-Ellen Raftery, WSA Graduate/Trainee Merchandiser at NEXT

You can find more photos from the evening on the DigiChamps Flickr page.