Launch of University of Southampton MENSUS

Author: Thomas Davidson 
MENSUS Launch, 6 January 2016
MENSUS Launch, 6 January 2016

On 6th January, fellow DigiChamp Thomas Rowledge and I attended the launch of the latest interdisciplinary research group established by the University of Southampton; Monitoring of Engineered and Natural Systems Using Sensors (MENSUS). We had been asked to help live tweet the event by Interdisciplinary Research Coordinator, Dr Jo Corsi.

While we were initially a bit nervous about doing what was our first live tweeting event (and because we weren’t 100% sure we would understand everything!) it turned out to be a great experience and an event we were both glad to have been involved in. The event consisted of a large number of speakers, each giving an “elevator pitch” to summarise their area of research. This was based on the Three Minute thesis model of presenting, and proved a popular way of launching the group, allowing everyone to explain their research in a short space of time, and proved to keep the audience entertained throughout. As I mentioned previously, the scope of the research was wide, and I have summarised a few of my favourite pitches here:

All in all, the event was a fantastic experience. As I mentioned, both myself and Thomas Rowledge live tweeted the event under the hashtag “#UoSmensus”. I believe live tweeting the event was very valuable because the large number and breadth of speakers. We are producing a Storify that will hopefully include at least one tweet about every pitch, so those who attended can easily re-visit topics and remind themselves of exactly what was said (see our #UoSmensus Storify).

The final thing I would like to say on behalf of both myself and Thomas Rowledge is a big thanks to Dr Jo Corsi for inviting us to the event, and a big congratulation to her and to the rest of the organisational team for how much of a success the event was. I would also like to congratulate Dr Ling Wang and the co-chairs for their successful University of Southampton Research Group application as a whole. Hopefully DigiChamps will be able to work with the MENSUS group again in the future and keep up to date with their developments.

One comment