A review of CHEPstival by Prof Judith Holloway PhD, PFHEA, NTF

Earlier in the summer, I groaned when I saw the date of CHEPstival 2019. It was the week before I start teaching my MSc course, so one of my most stressful weeks of the year. I knew that I would be stressed and overloaded, plus completely unprepared for the week to come. Its always that way every year, and on top of that, I would now lose a whole day of preparation attending the conference. But I knew I would still go. As an NTF and PFHEA, I value these events so dearly. Its an opportunity to support colleagues, share best practice, learn and explore new ideas, reflect on your own practice and continue your own professional development. So of course, I turned off the email, forgot about the mountain of work, and went to CHEPstival.

From the moment Helen Carmichael (Deputy Director of CHEP) and Alex Neill (Vice President Education) welcomed us and introduced the keynote speaker, I was hooked. Naomi Winstone from the University of Surrey explored feedback, and reminded us that it should not just be received by our students, but used. How do we know if what we give them actually makes an impact on and for the student? Can we help them to learn how to use their feedback effectively, an essential life skill that is important not just during your University years, but throughout your working life. We explored feedback portfolios and a feedback toolkit. Naomi encouraged us to think about where our feedback will land (for the student), and to build it into our curriculum design. When thinking about the NSS, Naomi gave the best quote of the day: “If you work on the learning, the student satisfaction scores will take care of themselves!” So many great ideas. If you missed the session, I recommend you have a look at her work.

If you work on the learning, the student satisfaction scores will take care of themselves!”

Naomi Winstone – University of Surrey

So many great ideas. If you missed the session, I recommend you have a look at her work.

David Read introduced the Lightning Talks that were 5 minute snippets from academics sharing ideas and excellence with us. We were introduced to delivering innovative education with external collaborators, and the need to consider their perspective during design and delivery. The resulting research projects were beneficial for all partners, including our students. Teaching Undergraduate Social Theory was an excellent example of innovating the way it had been taught for 30 years, to the benefit of staff and students alike. International students are so important and contribute so much to the rich environment of our University community. We explored a number of tips and hints to help us ensure that every student feels welcome and integrated in our learning family. We learnt about creating SMART videos for maths students where key concepts are captured for students to revisit in small chunks. We heard about the next generation OnDemand (the new version of QuestionmarkPerception) which allows flexible summative assessment, and is fully supported by iSolutions, followed by the final lightning talk on embedded feedback for maths students when using e-assessment.

Two panel discussions explored, firstly, educating the next generation of global citizens, and secondly, the lecture is dead, long live the lecture. As a University, we really need to define what is meant by global citizen, and a number of meanings were explored. We were reminded that the visa rules have changed, and that shortly our students will be able to stay in the UK for 2 years after they graduate, raising possibilities for careers post-graduation. We were also challenged to think about all undergraduate courses containing internships or experiences overseas, with the particular challenge of making those opportunities attractive to students when they arrive. The second panel explored an average lecture and asked what the learning experience would be. For me, anything learning opportunity that we deliver in an average manner will always lead to average learning at best. Innovation delivered poorly will lead to poor learning. A lecture, if innovative and delivered in an awesome manner, will potentially lead to awesome learning. So for me, the lecture is not dead, long live awesome learning opportunities!

We celebrated successful teachers across the University, from our SUSU student nominated awards, so valued by staff, via PREP and PGCAP through to Vice Chancellors Teaching Award nominees and finishing on our two new National Teaching Fellows. It is so important that we celebrate our successes as well as reflecting on improvements needed. So many wonderful winners – we are in a great place to go forwards and share our best practice across the whole University.

What a day. When Shelley Parr, Director of CHEP closed the conference, I felt slightly guilty for my original apathy. So apologies for groaning originally when I first saw the date. CHEP you were right – the timing of this day together was absolutely perfect. . Thanks to the whole CHEP team and all the speakers. Roll on CHEPstival 2020!

“I now feel energised and inspired to go forth and deliver awesome teaching next week. I learnt a whole load of stuff, networked with awesome colleagues, had quite a few new innovative ideas, confirmed that what I’m doing is great, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole day. “

Prof Judith Holloway, PhD, PFHEA, NTF

Thanks to the whole CHEP team and all the speakers. Roll on CHEPstival 2020!

CHEPstival – an inspiration and a celebration